Given its nuclear pedigree, ARES has provided its products and services to mission-critical programs and projects across the Department of Energy (DOE)/National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Complex since inception. ARES has provided services and support to the NNSA nuclear weapons complex, the waste clean-up/environmental management part of DOE, and the Office of Science laboratories, as listed below:
- Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
- Sandia National Laboratories
- Nevada Test Site
- Oak Ridge Y-12 Plant
- Savannah River Site
- Hanford Site
- Argonne National Laboratory
- Brookhaven National Laboratory
- Idaho National Laboratory
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
Representative projects include:
- Helping the Hanford Site manage technical, cost, and schedule risk through engineering designs for retrieval/treatment of the waste coming from the Hanford Tank Farms and “pump-and-treat” systems that clean up contaminants in the soil. Working with several large firms, ARES provided major tank farm design support related to retrieval and treatment of the radioactive/hazardous wastes stored in underground tanks at the Site.
- Mitigating Los Alamos National Laboratory’s technical, cost, and schedule risks for over 15 years by providing project management/project controls personnel to manage risks of cost and schedule overruns, provides engineering design work for mission-critical facilities, programs, and projects to manage technical risk, provides risk management support to nuclear test programs to holistically manage a variety of risks, and provides facility management/maintenance support to reduce the risk that LANL’s mission-critical facilities will be unavailable. As part of these services, ARES has provided A/E engineering, specialty equipment design, and hardware fabrication. ARES helped LANL reduce its facilities “footprint” through a risk-based approach that ensures mission-critical facilities are maintained while unneeded facilities are decontaminated and decommissioned. ARES’ support includes efforts at the Nevada Test Site, in addition to LANL.
Within the Government Nuclear market, ARES provides engineering, reliability and mission assurance, and project management services. Due to the inherently risky nature of the activities performed within this market (e.g., nuclear weapons design, manufacture, and test; nuclear waste cleanup), ARES’s ability to mitigate technical, schedule, and cost risks have resulted in extensive work across the Government Nuclear market, from site operators to component designers.